GetCOO

Chiesa di San Torpete

San Torpete is a church in central Genoa, northern Italy, dedicated to Saint Torpes. It was founded in the 11th century by local merchants. It was rebuilt in 1730 under designs conceived by Giovanni Antonio Ricca.The interior ceiling is decorated with paintings and stucco by Giovanni Bernardo Carlone depicting scenes of the Life of San Torpete. An altarpiece of Madonna with St Thomas Becket of Canterbury, St Lucia and John the Baptist is attributed to the studio of Luca Cambiaso or Andrea Semini. The small statue of the Virgin of Providence at the main altar was completed by Giovanni Battista Drago.