GetCOO

Chiesa di San Vidal

Founded in 1084 by Doge Vitale Falier who is thought to have built it in honour of his name saint. Rebuilt after the fire of 1105, and again from 1696 to a design by Antonio Gaspari, commissioned by the Morisoni family as a memorial to Francesco Morosoni, who defeated the Turks at Morea and then served as doge from 1688-1694. Long deconsecrated, the church spent some time as an exhibition hall for the Catholic Union of Italian Artists and now hosts concerts. Restoration work in 1902-3 and in 2000. Palladian-style façade (1734-7) modelled on that of San Francesco della Vigna, by Tirali, and paid for by Doge Carlo Contarini.



image