GetCOO

Chiesa di San Vio

The original church of San Vio (dedicated to St Vitus) was built in 912 by the Vido and Balbi families. It was rebuilt in the 5 years following Bajamonte Tiepolo's unsuccessful conspiracy against the republic on the 15th June 1310, using much masonry from Tiepolo's demolished palazzo at Sant'Agostin - the door to the palazzo becoming the door to the church (see printbelow). The doge and signoria would visit the church annually on that day, which is also St Vitus's day, to commemorate Tiepolo's defeat. In 1354 the small campo in front of the church was extended down to the Grand Canal, by demolishing the Tagliapetra palazzo, so that the dignitaries would have a grander approach.