GetCOO

Chiesa di San Zan Degola

Named in the Venetian dialect for San Giovanni Battista Decollato (the Decapitated St John the Baptist) the church was founded in the 8th Century, legend has it, but the first documentary evidence dates the founding to 1007, at the expense of the Venier family. Rebuilding then took place in 1213 (courtesy of the Pesaro family) and in 1703 when the current exterior was built. In 1358, on August 29th, the Venetian navy defeated the Genoese fleet off Negroponte. As the date was the feast day of Salome's dance the saint was credited with the victory and the doge vowed to visit this church on the feast day every year, but this only lasted a few years and the commemoration transferred to S. Marco.



image