GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Caterina d'Alessandria

The Church, dedicated to St. Catharine of Alexandria, was built in the early 13th century, but it was with the Dominicans (1222) that the building and annexed convent took shape as they are today. The hall-shaped, double-pitched gabled building was probably completed towards mid 13th century. It was built to answer the need for a large space mainly for preaching but also for worship and to bury the dead. The single nave with trussed roof forms a “T” with the transept, off which lead four cross-vaulted chapels.The front, completed in the first half of the 14th century, is a development in Gothic style of the Cathedral decoration.



image