GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Caterina dei Funari

Santa Caterina dei Funari is a church in the rione of Sant'Angelo. It is mainly known for its façade and its interior with frescoes and paintings. The church stands on the same spot as the Castro Aureo of the Circus Flaminius, built by Caius Flaminius in 221 B.C. In medieval times, the vicinity became the location of string- and rope-makers (funari), hence, the name of the church. The original church was a three-naved basilica, called "Santa Maria de Donna Rosa in castro aureo", named for the first time in 1192 in a document of Pope Celestine III. It was rebuilt in the 9th century with a single nave and dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria and later also called Santa Caterina dei Funari.



image