GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Giuliana

The female Cistercian monastery, founded in 1253, was one of the riches religious complex of the city. The church has a façade, in pink and white marble, from the XVI Century and a Gothic rose-window portal. In the interior, with a single nave with wooden trusses preserves remains of the original painted Decorations and on the triumphal arches remains of XIII and XIV Centuries frescos. The former monastery, today site of the Scuola di Lingue Estere dell’Esercito (Italian Army Language School) has a splendid cloister, attributed to Matteo di Gattapone and considered one of the finest sample of cistercian architecture in Italy.



image