GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Margherita in Santa Maria dei Ricci

Founded in 1508, under the patronage of the Ricci family, in reparation for an outrage committed by one Antonio Rinaldeschi against an Annunciation painted on the side of the nearby church of Santa Maria degli Alberighi - he threw horse dung at it in 1501. The full story is below. 1610 saw a rebuilding, with the addition of the loggia, by the architect Gherardo Silvani (c. 1640). The baroque interior, attractively proportioned, is an aisle-less and cube-y nave with two chapels either side, and was created in 1769-1772 by Zanobi del Rosso. The ceiling of the domed apse was frescoed with The Assumption of the Virgin by Lorenzo del Moro.