GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Derelitti

The church is called Ospedaletto (small hospital) because it was part of the smallest of the four Venetian hospitals created to care for the homeless poor, the sick and the orphaned. Founded in 1528, work on the current church, built to replace the existing small chapel, began in 1575. The original plan was by Palladio, but due to a lack of funds work progressed slowly until 1662 and a large bequest by the merchant Bartolomeo Cargnoni. This sped things up and enlarged the buildings, with Antonio Sardi and his son working on the hospice building, before they were dismissed after two years due to a dispute. Longhena took over - the façade of the church and the interior are his work.