GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Galletti

The Church stands on the site of the Church of St. Salvatore mentioned in 1102 as “in Porta Aurea” because it was built close to the ancient pre-comunal southern Porta Aurea city gate. The present church was built by its patrons, the Buzzaccherini Sismondi family.


The Church was later ceded to the Congregation of Blacksmiths and Farriers who renamed it St. Alò (a mispronunciation of the French Saint Eloi), their patron saint. In 1587, the congregation renovated the building and in 1722 built a chapel dedicated to their patron saint and S. Ranier.




image