GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Maria del Carmine

The church was founded by Carmelite monks in 1325, and both it and the adjoining monastery underwent radical transformations during the years between the second half of the 16th century and 1612, when it was newly consecrated. It was badly damaged by bombing in the second world war, damage clearly to be seen in the roof, re-built in 1965, with reinforced concrete beams. Inside, the 14th century masonry was completely masked by the alterations in furnishings required by the Council of Trent, in particular by Baroque replacements to the original altars, although externally the original Gothic brickwork of the north wall of the church is recognisable.



image