GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Maria del Pianto

This octagonal church, which faces the lagoon, and its Capuchin monastery were founded in 1649 and the church was consecrated in 1687. Mother Maria Benedetta de Rossi had had a vision, and Doge Francesco da Molin and the senate approved the building, hoping to invoke divine assistance in the war in Crete. The architect was Francesco Contino, who may have been inspired by the octagonal shape of the, then new, Salute church. This church is named for Santa Maria dei Pianto dei Sette Dolori, the Weeping Madonna of the Seven Sorrows.