GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Maria della Colombata

This church, which was built on the site of an ancient hermitage, became a Benedictine nunnery in 1297. Bishop Giovanni Andrea Baglioni suppressed the nunnery in 1437 because of the bad behaviour of the nuns, and sold its goods to help with the financing of the new Duomo. Pope Eugene IV subsequently allowed the church to be partially demolished to provide building materials for the project. The complex was then put to a number of uses until 1528 when a group of nuns from the Monastero della Beata Colomba moved here but they were sent back to their mother house in 1575, probably because of their bad behaviour. The complex then passed into secular use.



image