GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Maria Formosa

Tradition has it that the Virgin Mary appeared to San Magno (St Magnus) Bishop of Oderzo, in the form of a buxom (formosa in Italian) woman and told him to build her a church under a white cloud. And so this, the first church in Venice dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built, some time in the 7th Century by the Tribuno family. The first certain documentation concerns rebuilding in 1060. More rebuilding in 1492 by Mauro Codussi who kept to the dimensions of the foundations of the earlier church which was by then in ruins. The church was visited by the doge and a procession of twelve young girls every 2nd of February.