Santa Maria Maggiore is a church in Assisi. The current structure dates from the 11th-12th centuries, although it was built on a pre-existing Palaeo-Christian church; the latter had been turn erected above a Roman architecture edifices, the so-called "Propertius' Domus" or a templed dedicated to Apollo or, according to the tradition, to Janus. The church served as the city's cathedral until 1036, when the title was moved to the current Cathedral, the church of San Rufino. Santa Maria Maggiore was the location of St. Francis of Assisi's baptism. It has an undecorated façade divided vertically by pilasters.