GetCOO

Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore

The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore was erected by bishop Ecclesius between 525 and 532, and rebuilt in 1671 in baroque style on the basis of a design by Pietro Grossi. The cylindrical bell-tower dates back to the 9th/10th century. Evidences of the former building are the original columns and their capitals, as well as the inside division into a nave and two side aisles. The church hosts late-Renaissance paintings and sculptures and the tomb of the Ravenna architect Camillo Morigia (1743-1795). At the bottom of the left aisle, it is possible to admire a painting by Luca Longhi, that portrays Saint Paul visiting Saint Agatha in prison.



image