GetCOO

Chiesa di Sant'Agostino

This is a small church, with a very discreet exterior, that is located in one of the streets near the Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio. Its facade, the result of a seventeenth century restoration like the rest of the building, seems to blend in with the surrounding houses. On closer inspection this church reveals a few surprises. The interior, a single nave of Ionic order, holds an altarpiece from Leonardo’s times dated from 1513 and was restored in 2002. The building originally dates from the year 1000 and belonged to the Monastery of Sant’Ambrogio. The oratorio was constructed in remembrance of the baptism received by Agostino from the patron saint of Milan in the Basilica of Santa Tecla.