GetCOO

Chiesa di Sant'Angelo

Sant'Angelo (officially Santa Maria degli Angeli) is a church in Milan, belonging to the Franciscan Order. The church was constructed in the mid-16th century by the Spanish general and Governor MilanFerrante Gonzaga, over an edifice already existing in 1418, in replacement of the eponymous one, which had been destroyed to build the new walls. The design was by Domenico Giunti. The small bell tower was added in 1607, while the façade was finished only in 1630, in late-Manneristor early-Baroque style. The church is one of the few in the city which was not restored in "neo-medieval" style during the 19th century.