GetCOO

Chiesa di Sant'Apollonia

The Church, first called S.Pietro, is mentioned in documents from 1116. In the 2nd half of the 12th century it’s documented as S. Pietro a Ischia and in the late 13th century is under the patronage of the Galletti family, who restructured it in 1277. In 1393 an altar, dedicated to St. Francis was built, carved by Francesco di Cristiano. In the early 17th century, when a relic of St. Apollonia was discovered beneath the main altar, the Church took the saint’s name.In 1777, when the male line of the Galletti family died out, patronage of the Church passed to the wife and daughters who charged Mattia Tarocchi with redesigning the interior and exterior of the Church in its present Baroque style



image