Founded in 1034 by the Sciavola and Rampana familes from Ravenna, Sant'Appollinaire being that city's patron saint and Sant'Aponal being the Venetian dialect version of his name. The first documentary evidence dates from 1060. The current church dates from a rebuilding from 1407. Restored with interior remodelled in 1583, including the flat panelled ceiling, and again in 1791. A parish church until it was suppressed in 1810 by the French, who stripped it of its art and furnishings. It became a mill, a night refuge for the poor, and a prison for political detainees. The four ugly rectangular windows on the façade date from this period.