GetCOO

Chiesa e Convento di Montemorcino Nuovo

The church, designed in 1740 by Luigi Vanvitelli, is adjacent to the huge structure of the former convent, commissioned by the Olivetan fathers from Montemorcino Vecchio, and also designed by Vanvitelli, together with Carlo Murena. In 1811 the Napoleonic government housed the University of Perugia in the convent, which still today houses the rectorship. Particularly interesting are the cloisters, the portico and the adjoining hanging gardens. On the walls of the vast entrance hall to the aula magna, is an important group of casts of Etruscan inscriptions.



image