GetCOO

Chiesa ed ex Convento del Carmine

The church of Santa Maria del Carmelo called "Carmine" (late XIV - early XV century.), Is one of the few monuments that resisted the violence of the earthquake of 1693. The prospectus is enriched by a portal from the late 14th century, a national monument, topped by a Franciscan rose window with twelve rays, all in the late Gothic style typical of the Chiaramonte family (counts of Modica in the 14th century). The convent was equipped with 23 cells, is characterized by large areas and architectural details in the Gothic and Baroque. In 1861 it became the property of the Kingdom of Italy and home to the Police Station. Currently is empty, after a long restoration work recently completed.



image