GetCOO

Chiesa S. Nicola

The church of S. Nicola is documented in 1097, described as depending from the Monastery of S. Michele at the Verruca. Scholarly tradition, perhaps not groundless, holds that it was founded by Marquis Ugo di Tuscia at the end of the 10th century, in an area with many buildings already belonging to the Tuscia family.The lower part of the facade is decorated in the style typical of Buscheto (11th century): its dead arches on pilasters framing the doors with alternating rhombs and rose windows and two-tone marble facing are a superb example of the Pisan Romanesque style. We do not know what the appearance of the second story was to be,nor the date of the brickwork, perhaps 16th century.



image