GetCOO

Chiesa Santa Maria della Scala in San Fedele

San Fedele is a catholic church entitled to St. Fidelis of Como, patron of the Catholic diocese of Como. Located in Saint Fedele Square in the centre of the city, near the Palazzo Marino, the Teatro alla Scala and the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, the church was commissioned by Charles Borromeo from Pellegrino Tibaldi (1559). The interior is on a single nave, with tall columns in granite. The presbytery was prolonged in the 17th century by Francesco Maria Richino, who also designed the notable sacristy. The interior is decorated with artworks that include a Pietà by Simone Peterzano, a St. Ignatius by Giovanni Battista Crespi (il Cerano) and a Transfiguration, by Lucio Fontana.



image