GetCOO

Ex Chiesa di San Bernardo

The Church of S. Bernardo was built in the 1400s, on the site of the old Osnello hospital (named after the founder) first mentioned in 1189. Constructed on one of the most ancient streets in this part of Pisa, it was intended to shelter pilgrims and wayfarers. This street, now via Pietro Gori, was once called Carraia Minucioli, thenCarraia Gonnelle. A previous medieval building, destroyed in the mid 1200s, was rebuilt in 1401 and joined to the Cistercian convent of S. Bernardo; in 1444 the nuns completely reconstructed the entire religious complex but later this too underwent much renovation and many adaptations.



image