There was an oratory dedicated to the Virgin on this site from at least the early 14th century. It became a parish church in 1366, when the parish of San Stefano del Castellare was split into two. The facade owes its current asymmetric appearance to the building of the adjacent rectory at that time. A small community of Observant Dominican friars lived in a convent next to the church from 1429 until the end of the 15th century. The plaque over the door to the rectory (which covers part of the original facade of the church) refers to work that was financed by a donation of that date, probably in relation to the establishment of this community.