GetCOO

Ex Convento delle Benedettine

The church and convent, constructed by Benedictine nuns in 1393 on the southern bank of the River Arno, is now in private hands. It was built on part of an area known as tegularia in the early middle ages because of the many brick and pottery kilns there, confirmed by archaeological discoveries inside the convent perimeter. The building was largely restructured first in the 16th century, when in 1565 it passed from the nuns to the Order of the Knights of St. Stephen, and then in the 17th century, when the plain façade, facing S. Paolo a Ripa d’Arno church,and the square bell tower with a pyramidal cusp were added.



image