Recent archaeological excavations have revealed that Giardino Scotto area (that has not always been a park) underwent many changes. Because it was alongside the main via Aemilia Scauri, road it was probably already partially inhabited in Roman times. It was abandoned completely throughout the early middle ages but in 1095 the church of S. Andrea in Chinzica was founded here. By the 13th century, it had become a thriving area of craftsmen, mostly potters, so it was known as Baractularia. During the 14th century several bell-foundries were set up for casting bells in bronze, a trade that the Pisan maestri excelled in.