GetCOO

Iglesia de San Felipe y Santiago el Menor

The current church of San Felipe and Santiago el Menor is begun in 1686, after demolishing the previous building, which had become too small due to the increase in parishioners. The family of the Marquis of Villaverde play an important role in promoting the new construction work; they give the plot of land to extend the church and help by giving generous economic contributions. In exchange, they can directly access the temple from their palace ,known today as palace of the count of Argillo-, adjoining the church.The construction can be divided into three stages, which go from 1686 to 1752, when the royal architect, Ventura Rodriguez, advises the elimination of part of the decorative element



image