The short stretch of walls between the two gates retains memories of the history of Rome and of Italy and in addition to these the only remaining necessarium (what an appropriate name!) out of 260 such facilities which still existed in the XVIth century.
The column belonged to the baths built by Emperor Nero and restored by Emperor Alexander Severus. It supports a Winged Victory and it celebrates the Breach of Porta Pia, through which the Italian Army entered Rome on September 20, 1870. A few meters away there is a beautiful coat of arms of one of the Della Rovere popes (either Sixtus IV or Julius II).