GetCOO

Municipal House

Municipal House is a civic building that houses Smetana Hall, a celebrate concert venue. It’s located next to the Powder Gate in the center of the city.The Royal Court palace used to be located on the site of the Municipal House. From 1383 until 1485 the King of Bohemia lived on the property. After 1485, it was abandoned. It was demolished in the early 20th century. Construction of the current building started in 1905. It opened in 1912. The building was designed by Osvald Polívka and Antonín Balšánek. The Municipal House was the location of the Czechoslovak declaration of independence. The building is of the Art Nouveau architecture style and the exterior has allegorical art and stucco.



image