GetCOO

Museo Archeologico e D'Arte Sacra della Maremma

Grosseto was provided with its first museum in 1860. In that year, Canon Giovanni Chelli (Siena 1809-Grosseto 1869) founded a library in Grosseto where he began to display antiquities in a somewhat random fashion. In 1865 both the museum and the library were donated to the City Council; they continued to be directed by Chelli until his death in 1869. The years between the end of the 18th century and the early 19th century were particularly troublesome: within a few decades the library and museum had to be moved at least five times and even the great commitment of the directors and conservators could not prevent the loss and damage that each move caused to the collection.



image