GetCOO

Oratorio dei Pellegrini

The Oratory of Pilgrims is found halfway down via San Francesco, the long road connecting the upper Basilica to the centre of Assisi. The chapel is almost hidden, but hosts magnificent frescos painted by Umbrian artisans, including students of Perugino The fresco on the facade depicts "Christ Resurrected, St James and Brother Anthony" and is by Matteo da Gualdo (1468).. Originally the chapel was dedicated to Saint Anthony the Great and Saint James, both portrayed in the frescos. The church was a hostel for pilgrims traveling along the via Francigena towards Rome stopping to pay homage to Saint Francis. The Oratory was built in 1432 by the brotherhood of San Giacomo e Sant'Antonio.



image