GetCOO

Oratorio dell'Annunziata

he first nucleus of the oratory dates back to the 14th century. It was built next to the Hospital for Poor Pilgrims, which was later donated to the Brotherhood of Death established in Ferrara in 1366. The Brotherhood, which supervised the burial of all the dead derelicts of the city, had a particular devotion to the Holy Cross, worship set up in 1510. In the 16th century it received a gift from duchess Isabella of Aragon, a relic of the Holy Cross. Originally consisting of a large living room resting on arches, in the 17th century the oratory was reduced on the ground floor and the façade was rebuilt perhaps by architect G.B. Aleotti. Inside, an important cycle of frescoes of the end of 16th