GetCOO

Oratorio di San Bernardino

Shortly after the canonisation of San Bernardino of Siena in 1450, who had preached in Perugia on several occasions, Franciscan monks of San Francesco al Prato decided to build an oratory in his honour. [the Oratory of San Bernardino]. The city authorities commissioned Agostino di Duccio to design the facade. This architect had just finished another commission, also a Franciscan church, theTempio Malatesta in Rimini. The polychrome front was finished in 1461 and makes use of a combination of different materials ranging from terra-cotta to limestone, as well as white, red and black marble.



image