GetCOO

Ospizio dei Trovatelli

The Foundlings’ Hospital (Ospizio dei Trovatelli) was built in 1315, following the battle of Montecatini. The building, annexed to the church of S. Giorgio dei Tedeschi, was originally called Ospedale della Pace e del Principe (Hospital of Peace and the Prince); it provided about twenty beds for the sick. In the early 14th century it became a foundlings’ hospital, in an attempt to put an end to the ancient widespread custom of abandoning newborn babies, and was dedicated to the Blessed Domenico Vernagalli, the 13th century founder of the first institute for abandoned newborn babies in Pisa (at that time annexed to the S. Michele in Borgo church).



image