GetCOO

Palacio de las Cortes - Congreso de los Diputados

The Palacio de las Cortes Españolas, Spain’s parliament, was built on the site of the former convent of Espíritu Santo. No longer occupied by the monks, it was used as the headquarters for the Congress between 1834 and 1841, before which time the Congress had no fixed address. The tender put out for the construction of the current building was awarded to the architect Narciso Pascual y Colomer, and construction work was finished in 1850. On the main façade, a flight of stairs climbs up to the neoclassical portico It features six imposing fluted Corinthian columns which support the triangular pediment, decorated with reliefs by Ponciano Ponzano.



image