The Trotti-Costabili Palace was built in 1444 in the district of Borgonuovo (now Via Cairoli) on behalf of Leonello d'Este by the architect Antonio de Bizzocchi. The house then passed to Francis Strozzi, a wealthy Florentine merchant who settled in Ferrara, and later became later property of the noble families Sacrati, Rossetti, Costabili and Trotti. Alfonso Trotti transformed in 1553 the façade. In 1721 the Archbishop Tommaso Ruffo decided to buy the building to make it the new home of the Seminary (relocated in 1960) and the palace was then adapted for that use. Two rooms of the palace are frescoed by Benvenuto Tisi, called the Garofalo.