Construction works for the Captain of the People’s Palace ended in 1282; the building was restored later, in the 16th century when it became the main building hosting the public schools. Battlements in Guelph style were added in 1927. This three storey building is made of white stone; four grand doorways once hosting shops and salt storage areas give access to the palace. Several Podestà’s coats of arms and the emblem of the Terziere of Santa Maria (one of the three Medieval districts) are walled up on the façade. Just a few fragments once part of the rich decoration in the halls and in the chapel are left and are now on display at the Pinacoteca Comunale and in several museums abroad.