GetCOO

Palazzo Gabrielli-Borromeo

The Palazzo Gabrielli-Borromeo is located on Via del Seminario, between piazza di Sant'Ignazio and thePantheon in the ancient Campus Martius and in the second sector of the present-day Colonna rione, not far from Via del Corso. The first palazzo on the site was built by the Gabrielli family, counts of Gubbio, whilst its second name derives from its rebuilding and redecoration by cardinal Vitaliano Borromeo for use by the Jesuits. The Jesuits in 1605 paid 20,000 scudi for the palace to use as a Seminary. The Jesuit order was suppressed during the papacy of Clement XIV. In 1774, the Monte di Pietà of Rome purchased the palace for 32,000 scudi.



image