GetCOO

Palazzo Lanfreducci

Now the home of Pisa University Chancellorship, this is one of the most interesting early 18th century buildings in Pisa. It was designed by Cosimo Pugliani, a Florentine architect. Work began in 1607 by order of Francesco Lanfreducci, knight of Malta, on his return from long imprisonment in Algeria. The facade in marble and verrucano stone is in the Mannerist style according to the Classical and late Renaissance taste: 5 windows on 3 floors and a flight of steps leading to the rusticated doorway with the words “Alla Giornata” carved on the lintel, a balcony above with a French window surmounted by the family coat of arms with lion rampant. A chain with three rings hangs below the lintel.



image