GetCOO

Palazzo Loredan- Istituto Veneto di Scienze Lettere ed Arti

Built by the Mocenigo, the palace was acquired by the Loredan in 1536. The formerly gothic building was subsequently rebuilt by Antonio Abbondi, called Scarpagnino, who was also responsible for parts of the façade of the Scuola Grande di San Rocco. Actually, only the northern façade, designed by Palladio's disciple Giovanni Girolamo Grapiglia, is of noteworthy architectural merit. Its pseudo-portal was inteded as such. Regarding the floor plan, the quadratic atrium with remnants of gothic capitals and a missing portego do not come up to traditional venetian floor plans. Large parts of the palace have been adapted to the current use as a scientific research institute and library.