GetCOO

Palazzo Negrone

The palazzo, which overlooks piazza Fontane Marose with an unusually extended façade featuring no fewer than fourteen rows of windows and with twin doorways, owes its origin to the residence erected in 1560-1562 for Francesco de Ugarte, Spanish Ambassador to the Republic of Genoa. The date of construction of this first building, which was built by combining two houses purchased by Guglielmo Spinola and corresponding to the western portion of the current building, places it in the same period as the start-up of the works on Strada Nuova, for which piazza Fontane Marose represented the old access.