GetCOO

Palazzo Pretorio

The Government building or palazzo Pretorio, Headquarters of the Government Auditor and the Civil and Criminal Chancery, was one of the buildings involved in the process of renovation undertaken in the 18th and 19th centuries, that aimed to alter the medieval appearance of the town. This building too, was built by combining several medieval buildings. In 1785, when it became necessary to occupy part of it with prisons, opinion in Pisa was divided between the idea of keeping the medieval structures, with large gothic style mullioned windows on the first floor, and a triple loggia on the second floor, and that of adapting it to the new style, already visible in the nearby Logge di Banchi.



image