GetCOO

Palazzo Schifanoia

The name of the palace derives from the motto 'schivar la noia' meaning 'avoid tedium' and refers to the building's function as a place for fun and recreation as it was an Estense ‘Delizia’ (palace for recreation). It was bult at the end of the 1300s in a very green area near the river Po and Duke Borso made some extension in the years 1465-1467. The façade, once crowned with crenellations and frescoed with fake polychrome marble, is now distinguished by an elegant marble portal by Francesco del Cossa.The most famous and interesting room is definitely the Sala dei Mesi (Room of the Months), frescoed by some Ferrara painters of the 15th century: Francesco del Cossa, Ercole de' Roberti.



image