GetCOO

Parrocchia San Paolo a Ripa d'Arno

Recorded as already existing in 1032, the Church with adjoining monastery passed to the monks of Vallombrosa in around 1090-1092. Several stages in its construction are recorded, one of which, dating from mid 12th century, included the restructuring of the presbytery, re-consecrated in 1148.At the same time the front, in the style of Rainaldo’s facade of the Cathedral was nearing completion, with a double pitched roof, pilasters, dead arches, marble intarsia and three tiers of arches. The marble facing of the north wall and the left side date from the mid 13th century, while the facade was only completed in the 14th century.



image