GetCOO

Piazza delle Vettovaglie

The square was shaped between 1543 and 1565, when this part of the town centre was redesigned under Medici rule.This was a lively quarter in the middle ages, where homes and chapels of noblemen mixed with craftesmen’s workshops and hostelries. There was a small open space known as "Piassa de’ Porci", the focal point of which was a well recently brought to light during archaeological excavations. In 1493, the Opera del Duomo had been granted permission to build a new "Piazza del Grano" in this area, because the previous place for the sale of cereals had been assigned to the future headquarters of the Pisan studium, but a revolt and the institution of the 2nd Pisan Republic delayed work.



image