GetCOO

Piazza Gambacorti

Pisans call this square piazza della Pera because of the ancient Etruscan pear-shaped cippus on the corner of via S. Martino. Thanks to careful archaeological explorations in 2004 that uncovered the remains of the medieval church of S. Lorenzo in Chinzica, (demolished in 1932), the history of this piazza from the 12th cent. to now has been reconstructed. The church, built in the early 12th cent., was re-structured several times to follow changing tastes and fashions and to satisfy the ambitions of its various owners. In 1784 it was deconsecrated. An earlier rectangular church, with3 aisles, divided by 2rows of pillars, covered an area of roughly 300 sq m, was built with large blocks of stone



image