GetCOO

Porta del Campanone Vecchio

The old Porta del Camponone was probably the entrance to the former castle of Santarcangelo and was the oldest gate of the village. Possibly dating from the 12thcentury, the gate was certainly well fortified before the mid 14thcentury and had a drawbridge and a belltower until 1880. The ruins of the old structures date from the time when the castle was attacked and taken by Carlo Malatesta who subsequently had the gate and bell tower rebuilt.