GetCOO

Porta del Parlascio

The city gate and walls at Largo Parlascio were built in 1157 as part of the 4th construction lot of the medieval city walls. Porta Parlascio takes its name from a place-name probably of Longobard origin that indicated the north east area of the city. It led straight to the main street that crossed the town from north to south and was connected tothe road to Lucca via a bridge over the river Auser, flowing immediately outside the walls. The size of the gate and the brackets carved with a pattern of foliage indicate the importance of this gate. It was the largest of all the city gates.



image